Careers Education, Information and Guidance (CEIAG) at The Radclyffe School aims to help young people become self-reliant and take responsibility for managing their own career development. Our unique and robust Careers Programme is designed to provide our students with the information and necessary skills to make informed decisions about their future and a positive transition to post 16.
The school supplements its independent careers advice and guidance by purchasing an additional 205 days support from careers advisors. The impact of this, and the quality of Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) delivered within the curriculum, means that the vast majority of our students (98%) progress into Post 16.
Students are actively encouraged to refer themselves for advice and guidance. All students from Year 8 – 11 receive 1-1 IAG interviews with the career advisors. The specialist career advisors also deliver sessions within curriculum time to inform students about Post 16 options, apprenticeships and further training. Our teachers undertake regular training from the career advisors to ensure they are up to date with relevant information in order to deliver the careers content within the Values and Citizenship curriculum.
Through the Values and Citizenship curriculum all Students are educated on appropriate progression routes in further education, available qualifications, career paths and employment trends. Outside agencies work with our students on Post 16 provisions to give them the most up-to-date IAG, and to support them in choosing their correct career pathway. The Career Education Programme enables our students to develop their personal insight, careers knowledge, planning and management skills.
Our Careers programme includes:
• 1-1 IAG interviews with Career Advisors in Year 8 – Year 11
• Attend a Careers Fair – over 22 employers and Post 16 providers visit school
• Opportunity to take part in a mock interview to prepare for college interview
• A dedicated Careers Information page on FROG
• Careers board in the main street highlighting career pathways, college taster days and other relevant information relating to Post 16 provision
• College Taster Days (Oldham 6th Form College / Oldham College / Hopwood Hall)
• University Taster Days (Cambridge / Oxford / Lancaster / Manchester)
• IAG on post 16 provision is available at all parents evenings and at Year 8 options evenings
• Opportunity for selected students to complete a 1 Week Work Experience Placement (see appendix 7)
At The Radclyffe School we continually inspire and motivate our students to raise their aspirations and fulfil their potential, we guide and support them on their journey towards Post 16 opportunities and beyond. We regularly evaluate the effectiveness of CEIAG as we strive to provide the best provision we can.
Inspiring IAG Award
As a school we are working towards the Inspiring IAG Award. The award has been designed to provide a good practice framework and recognition of high quality CEIAG for organisations that provide support services for young people.